A farm with an agricultural easement is required to be visited annually by the Local Sponsor or assigned Monitoring Agent of the easement.
Guidelines for Monitoring
Guidelines for all easements with the ODA
- All closed easements are to be monitored once per year
- Ohio Department of Agriculture's (ODA’s) monitoring round runs January to December
- All easements that close by March 31st are to be monitored by December 31st
- All monitoring reports submitted to ODA are prepared on ODA’s form
- Written notification must be provided to the landowner at least 10 days prior to the monitoring visit
- Review the baseline – Present Condition Reports (PCR) prior to contacting the landowner
- Check the County Auditor’s & Recorder’s Office for updates/changes to the easement
- Interview the landowner either on the phone or in person about what is new on the property since the last visit; use the Annual Monitoring Report as a guideline
- Consider taking photos while visiting the property – always take photos to document changes to the easement
- ODA tracks changes noted in the monitoring report as an “After-Closing Topic”
- Evaluate the condition of the metal ODA sign and submit a Sign Replacement Request form (available below) when the sign needs replaced.
- Monitoring reports can be submitted to ODA at anytime
- Access the Annual Monitoring Report List from the Monitoring Resources tab to see what easements are due for monitoring with ODA
Additional information can be found by viewing - Monitoring Closed Easements - A Quick Overview.
Guidelines for easements with the ODA and NRCS
- Easements co-held by ODA & USDA - Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) can be submitted to ODA
- ODA will forward the report on to NRCS
- NRCS’ monitoring runs October to the following September
- Submit NRCS monitoring reports no later than mid-September
- NRCS monitoring must be completed within 365 days of closing AND within 365 days of the last monitoring report
Submitting Annual Monitoring Reports to ODA
Completed monitoring reports, photos & sign forms can be submitted to ODA by:
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail – to:
Ohio Department of Agriculture
8995 East Main Street
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068
- Uploading – accessed from ODA’s Landowner Application Website
Monitoring Agents may utilize the upload feature in the Landowner Application portal to submit documents to the Farmland Preservation Office. Certified Local Sponsors that already have an account can use their existing LAEPP landowner application login to access this feature; if you would like to request an account, view How to Register for an Upload Account for the additional information.
- Faxing – 614/752-2282
Annual Monitoring Report Form
Complete the Annual Monitoring Report and submit it to ODA. Be sure to include the ODA Easement ID on the report under the current landowner's contact information.
Annual Monitoring Report List
The Annual Monitoring Report List includes all easements that need monitored for ODA.
Farmland Sign Replacement Request
Each owner of a farm with an agricultural easement with the Office of Farmland Preservation will receive a sign from ODA. The sign displays the Farmland Preservation logo and lists the organizations involved in the preservation (ODA, NRCS, and/or the local sponsor). When the sign is in need of replacement, submit the completed form below.
Each owner of a farm with an agricultural easement with the Office of Farmland Preservation will receive a sign from ODA. The sign displays the Farmland Preservation logo and lists the organizations involved in the preservation (ODA, NRCS, and/or the local sponsor). When the sign is in need of replacement, submit the completed form.
Annual Monitoring Review and Ownership Transfer Info
Access the presentation below from a recent meeting for additional information on monitoring.