HPAI Sample Collection and Guidelines
HPAI continues to be a concern throughout the US. We are providing the following guidelines on submitting samples to the Ohio ADDL for Avian Influenza PCR testing.
*If you suspect HPAI in your flock, please call Animal Health: 614-728-6220*
Swabs & Media for Sample Collection
- Sterile, Dacron®/polyester swabs, rayon swabs, or nylon swabs - all with plastic or wire shafts
- Swabs with flocked ends are preferred over regular swabs for their superior absorption and quick release
- Avoid cotton or calcium alginate swabs, or swabs with wooden shafts
For gallinaceous birds (chickens, turkeys, pheasants, quail), take oropharyngeal/tracheal(choanal cleft) (OP/TR) swabs
For domestic waterfowl (ducks, geese), take cloacal (CL) swabs
Pooling: Swabs from the same species, source, and flock can be pooled together
- DIAGNOSTIC TESTING: Up to 5 swabs can be pooled in a standard BHI broth tube containing 3 mL of media
- SURVEILLANCE TESTING: Up to 10 swabs can be pooled in a standard BHI broth tube containing 5.5 mL of media
Do NOT pool:
- OP/TR and CL swabs together, or swabs from different species, or swabs from different flocks/barns
Recommended Swab and Media Resources:
- Fisher Scientific BD Sterile Flocked Swabs, Catalog # 22-349-820; Customer Service: 1-800-766-7000
- Harmony Puritan Sterile Polyester Swab, Catalog # 25-806 1PD; Customer Service: 1-800-899-1255
- Thermo Scientific Remel BHI Broth, Catalog #s R060272 (20 x 5 mL), R060270 (100 x 5 mL)
- Hardy Diagnostics BHI Broth, Catalog # K27 (20 x 5 mL); Customer Service: 1-800-266-2222
- Sterile BHI broth, other sterile viral transport media, or as a last resort saline (contact solution)
Hand Delivery & Shipping of Samples
Hand deliver or ship each sample set on ice using a same day or next day delivery service to arrive Monday through Friday to the following address:
Ohio Department of Agriculture
Division of Animal Health
Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory (ADDL)
8995 E Main Street, Bldg. 6
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068
When submitting samples, please indicate on the form F-ADDL-ADM-251 if you suspect flu, or if it is routine surveillance. In the event of an outbreak of HPAI, a specific and simplified form is available.
Please let the laboratory know samples are coming (1-614-728-6220 or firstname.lastname@example.org). Walk-ins are welcome (Hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm). After-hour emergency calls regarding testing and sample submission can be made to the Animal Health After-Hours Line at (888) 456-3405.
Poultry Submission Forms - Don't Forget To Verify Your Premise ID!
- Owner's name and address
- Site Premise ID and premise address; Fill out this form if you need a new Premise ID.
- Date collected
- Species (chicken, turkey, waterfowl, etc)
- Specimen type (cloacal swab, choanal swab, etc)