Web Content Viewer


In this page you will find a list of the most common questions and answers for the Plant Health Division. You can also fill out a feedback and/or contact form for further assistance in the help section of the website.

Any person applying any pesticide by aircraft (including UAVs) must have a Commercial Pesticide Applicator License with category C-1, “Aerial Application,” on it. A copy of the FAA pilot license/certificate must be submitted to ODA as part of the aerial pest control licensure.

If the application is being made to the property of another person for hire, a Pesticide Business License and Certificate of Insurance are also required.


More Information

Some lists of people (i.e., licensed pesticide applicators) or businesses (i.e., pesticide dealers, plant nurseries) are available through this website. If the information you are looking for is not available, you can submit a public records request through the ODA Legal Office. Requests are processed through the Legal Office then forwarded to the appropriate division to fulfill the request.

Unfortunately, the Department of Agriculture is no longer operating an EAB program, and is not currently sending officials out to look at suspected emerald ash borer damage. There are currently no financial assistance programs available through the Department of Agriculture to assist with tree removals or insecticide applications.

Pesticide treatments may protect your tree, if you have no signs of EAB infestation (crown dieback, bark splitting, suckers, woodpecker damage, D-shaped exit holes, etc). It is recommended that homeowners contact a certified arborist to have their trees inspected, and choose an appropriate course of action based on this inspection.

Anybody who applies fertilizer (other than manure) to 50 or more acres of agricultural production must be certified; anhydrous ammonia applications are included in this requirement. The law also allows for an uncertified person to apply fertilizer if they are under the direct supervision of a person who is certified. Currently the only exempted application method are start-up fertilizers applied through a planter. Certified Livestock Managers (CLM) and Certified Crop Advisors (CCA) who need certification are exempt from the training requirement, but should contact the Fertilizer Program to obtain the certificate.


More information

You can check exam scores online here. You will need your License ID number, which is on your license for current applicators, or for new applicators, was given to you at the testing location. You will also need to enter the date of the exam.

Exam scores will also be mailed out 2-3 weeks after the exam date, to the address provided during registration. Due to security concerns, we cannot provide exam scores over the phone.

There are two license types: a Private license is required if you apply restricted-use pesticides to your own or rented farm land; a Commercial license is required if you use any pesticide for hire, or on publicly accessible sites, or while working for a government agency.

Remember that a "pesticide" is anything that prevents, destroys, repels, or mitigates a pest, or is used as a plant regulator, defoliant, or desiccant. "Pesticides" includes, but is not limited to, herbicides, insecticides, rodenticides, and fungicides.

In addition to the applicator licenses, you may be required to obtain a Pesticide Business license and maintain liability insurance if you:

  • apply pesticides to the property of another for hire; or
  • solicit to apply pesticides; or
  • conduct authorized diagnostic inspections


More information

The Indemnity Fund is a fund established to protect farmers when a licensed elevator becomes solvent. Prior to the establishment of the Fund, Ohio farmers lost approximately $8 million due to grain elevator bankruptcies and failures since 1968.

The fund is maintained with a fee "per bushel" to keep the fund total between $10 million and $15 million. In the event of a licensed elevator insolvency, the farmer is reimbursed 100 percent for any grain stored in the elevator. Delayed price and basis transactions are reimbursed 100 percent of the first $10,000 of the loss and 80 percent of the remainder.


More information

Honey bee colonies could die for many reasons, including varroa and associated viruses, or starvation and malnutrition. If you are unsure why the colony has failed, contact your local inspector if they die during the growing season, or the state apiarist. This should be done as soon as possible since many tests, including pesticide analysis, cannot be performed on moldy or decomposed bees.

You can submit a sample to the USDA Honey Bee Lab in Beltsville, MD for free disease or varroa testing. Please note that the lab does not test for viruses or pesticides. If the apiary inspection suggests that the bee kill is due to pesticide exposure, contact the Department's Pesticide and Fertilizer program at 614-728-6987 to start a pesticide misuse investigation.


More information

All tonnage reports are generated individually by the Department of Agriculture, and is customized for each company. These report forms are mailed out around one week following the end of the reporting period. Since these report forms are customized, they are not available online, and companies should not create their own reports to submit. 

If you do not receive your report form within a few weeks after each reporting period (June 30 and December 31), please call the Grain, Feed, and Seed section.


More information

Any person in Ohio keeping honey bee colonies is required to register their apiary locations annually. Both commercial and hobbyist beekeepers are required to be registered with the state. This allows county apiary inspectors to assist beekeepers and monitor for serious bee diseases and pests. Official apiary inspections are required before queens, nucs or used equipment can be sold in Ohio or out of state, to prevent the spread of disease and pests. The registration fee is $5 for each apiary per year, and registration forms are available online.


More Information