Web Content Viewer

Pesticide Applications by Unmanned Aerial Vehicles

Updated 09/13/2022

  • Are licenses or permits other than the pesticide licenses from ODA required?
    • The FAA requires that the UAV operator (person at the controls) hold a remote pilot certificate, obtained by passing the “Part 107” exam. The FAA also requires that the business hold a Part 137 Aircraft Operations Certificate. Potential operators should contact the FAA directly to make sure all federal requirements are met.
  • What pesticide licenses are required by ODA to apply pesticides via a UAV (aerial drone)?
    • Any person applying any pesticide by aircraft (including UAVs) must have a Commercial Pesticide Applicator License with category C-1, “Aerial Application,” on it. A copy of the FAA pilot license/certificate must be submitted to ODA as part of the aerial pest control licensure.
    • If the application is being made to the property of another person for hire, a Pesticide Business License and Certificate of Insurance are also required.
  • At a UAV pesticide application site, who is required to have a pesticide applicator license?
    • Currently, the person operating the controls must be licensed as a pesticide applicator.
  • Do individuals assisting in the operation such as loaders, mixers etc., need to be trained if they are not making applications?
    • If the licensed applicator is conducting the application onsite, assisting employees do not need to be licensed currently. Employees assisting with mixing, loading, maintaining application equipment, or being a UAV spotter need to be trained as a Trained Serviceperson (TSP). TSP and supervision rules can be found here.
  • Do private pesticide applicators need a commercial pesticide applicator license to make an aerial UAV application?
    • Per Ohio Administrative Code Rule 901:5-11-2 (B)(14)(a), any person making an aerial pesticide application in Ohio is required to have a Commercial Applicator License with commercial category C-1 on their license.