To get a new pesticide license, or to add a category to an existing license, candidates will need to pass one or more exams.
- For new licenses, the core exam and at least one category exam must be passed. In addition, the license application and fee must be submitted within one year of the exam date.
- The exam proctor will provide you with an ID number when you arrive at the appointment. You will need this number to look-up your test results later and will later be used as your license ID.
- For those with an existing license, once a new category exam is passed it will automatically be added to the license and re-issued.
Exam sessions are offered at no cost around the state throughout the year and are proctored by our inspectors. Seating is limited at these exam sessions, and it is strongly recommended that you register for an appointment to guarantee a seat.
Exams will be graded within 10 business days. Results will be available to check online at that time, and will also be mailed to the candidate. Due to security concerns, we do not provide exam scores over the phone.
After selecting an open exam session you will be asked to select the exams you want to take during that session. Candidates can only be registered for a maximum of 2 exam sessions at a time, and must have at least 5 business days between sessions. Multiple exams may be taken during a session, if time allows.
You will receive an email confirmation once the appointment is scheduled.
Click here to register for an exam
- Preregistration is strongly encouraged due to limited seating.
- Those wishing to take an exam without preregistering will not have a guaranteed seat. If a seat becomes available then the proctor may allow the person to test, depending on the arrival time and the categories needed.
- Photo IDs will be required; pencils and calculators will be provided.
- Candidates can only be registered for a maximum of 2 exam sessions at a time, and must have at least 5 business days between sessions.
- Multiple exams may be taken during a session, if time allows.
- If you have scheduled future exams but no longer need it, or cannot attend a scheduled session, please call us as soon as possible to cancel your appointment. This will free up the limited seating for others.
- Reasonable Accommodation The Ohio Department of Agriculture is committed to providing access and inclusion and reasonable accommodation in its services, activities, programs, and employment opportunities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other applicable laws. To request a reasonable accommodation due to a disability please contact Matt Cochran at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-593-9959 no later than 14 days before the event.
These exams assess the candidate's knowledge of federal and state pesticide law, integrated pest management, best management practices, pest identification, and the ability to read and understand pesticide labels. All exams are multiple choice, have a passing score of 70%, and are written in English.
|License Category||Description||# of Questions|
|Commercial Core Exam||Commercial Core||90|
|Commercial 1||Aerial Pest Control||50|
|Commercial 2A||Agronomic Pest Control||50|
|Commercial 2B||Horticulture Pest Control||50|
|Commercial 2C||Agronomic Weed Control||35|
|Commercial 2D||Seed Treatment||34|
|Commercial 2E||Tobacco Suckering Control||20|
|Commercial 2F||Soil Fumigation||50|
|Commercial 3A||Aquatic Pest Control||25|
|Commercial 3B||Boat Antifoulant||30|
|Commercial 3C||Sewer Root Control||40|
|Commercial 4A||General Forest Pest Control||35|
|Commercial 4B||Wood Preservation||50|
|Commercial 5||Industrial Vegetation Control||50|
|Commercial 6A||Ornamental Pest Control||50|
|Commercial 6B||Interior Plant Landscape Pest Control||40|
|Commercial 6C||Ornamental Weed Control||25|
|Commercial 6D||Commercial Greenhouse Pest Control||50|
|Commercial 7||Vertebrate Animal Control||50|
|Commercial 8||Turf Pest Control||50|
|Commercial 9||Animal Pest Control||23|
|Commercial 10A||General Pest Control||150|
|Commercial 10B||Termite Control||90|
|Commercial 10D||Mosquito, Housefly And Other Vector Control||25|
|Commercial 11||Specialized Pest Control||25|
|Commercial 12||Wood Destroying Insect Inspection||64|
|Private Core Exam||Private Core||50|
|Private 1||Grain And Cereal Crops||50|
|Private 2||Forage Crops And Livestock||25|
|Private 3||Fruit And Vegetable Crops||25|
|Private 4||Nursery And Forest Crops||25|
|Private 5||Greenhouse Crops||35|
|Agricultural Fertilizer Certification||30|
Check your pesticide licensing exam result, using your assigned ID number and the date of the exam. Results may not be available until 10 business days after the exam date.