Web Content Viewer

Fertilizer - License to Manufacture or Distribute Fertilizer Application

Please download and complete the form using the "Download" button to the right.

No person shall manufacture or distribute in Ohio any type of fertilizer until a license to manufacture or distribute has
been obtained by the manufacturer or distributor. A separate license is required for each of the following:

  • Each fixed (permanent) location at which fertilizer is manufactured in Ohio;
  • Each mobile unit used to manufacture fertilizer in Ohio;
  • Each location out of the state from which fertilizer is distributed into Ohio;
  • Each location in Ohio from which fertilizer is distributed in Ohio.

Distributors are not required to be licensed if the product they distribute is registered as a Specialty Fertilizer (ORC 905.34). Fertilizers that are not for commercial crop production are considered Specialty Fertilizers and must be individually registered.

The name and address shown on the license shall be on all the labels, pertinent invoices, and bulk storage for fertilizers distributed in Ohio.

Sales Tonnage & Inspection Fees

Annual tonnage reports are due for sales between the period of November 1 - October 31, to be filed before November 30. The following should be reported:    

  • All fertilizer that the licensee distributes in this state to a person that has not been issued a license;
  • All fertilizer that the licensee applies in this state for purposes of agricultural production and all fertilizer that is applied in this state on behalf of the licensee by an employee or contractor who has an Ohio Agricultural Fertilizer Applicator certificate;
  • All fertilizer that the registrant distributes in this state.

An inspection fee of $0.25 per ton is due with the report, however, this fee does not apply to packaged fertilizers that are in containers of ten pounds or less. There is a late fee of $50 or 10% of the amount due, whichever is greater. For tonnage reports found to be incorrect, a penalty of 15% of the amount due will be assessed. Forms for submitting these reports will be mailed to the licensee with their license renewal form.